I've known about this wonderful/awful substance for years now, but haven't been able to commit to a regular practice of consuming it...because it is disgusting.
My friend and acupuncturist, Carie Martin, recommended it to me at our last session. *SHAMELESS PLUG FOR MY GIRL CARIE: http://www.collaborativecareseattle.org I was scared to try it to, but it changed my life. Just go. Do it.*
I am proud to say that I have stuck with it since then (and dragged my man into the practice also) and make it every morning. Here are a few reasons why I choke it down every am:
- it has antibiotic properties: great for tummy problems
- soothes a sore throat-germs can't handle the acidity of the vinegar
- clears a stuffy nose-I need all the help I can get with this one!
- The acetic acid within the ACV suppresses your appetite, increases your metabolism and reduces water retention
- you can use it as a facial toner to help clear acne
- boosts your energy by acting as a lactic acid antidote. The amino acids within ACV help combat the lactic acid buildup which is caused by stress and exercise.
- regulates blood sugar levels
I mix a tablespoon (or so...it's usually first thing in the morning and my measuring skills are questionable) of ACV with a cup of water, squeeze half of a fresh lemon, a HEAPING tablespoon of local raw honey, and a dash of cayenne pepper.
This blend makes the ACV tolerable, plus you get the added benefits of honey/lemon and cayenne.
Try it and let me know how it goes! What kind of scary faces did you make upon finishing it?